Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Cream Cheese Frosting

Today was a perfect day to bake. It has been overcast and rainy, and is supposed to stay this way all week. I don't like rain, so a piece of cake was a perfect way to brighten my day and my mood.

      
Anyone who knows me personally, knows that I absolutely love cake. With my love for cake comes a love for baking it. One of my dreams is to eventually own a little cafe, with perfectly scrumptious baked goods and espresso. Cupcakes will definitely be on the menu. 

My mom has always made the greatest cream cheese frosting. She would add a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder and we would squish it between two graham crackers for a quick treat. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

I love cream cheese frosting not only because it's delicious, but also because it's so easy. You can throw it together and not measure the ingredients exactly, but it'll still turn out divine. It's also a very dense and creamy frosting, which is best paired with a cake that is light or fruity. For example, this yummy lemon cake I made.

At room temperature, this frosting might be too soft to do intricate designing on your cake.   If you want to do piping, you'll want to refrigerate it for a few minutes and then continue on with your piping. After that it has to stay in a cool place or else it might not hold together for more than a couple hours. I don't mind this because I normally put my cake in the refrigerator anyways. I like eating them cold.





Cream Cheese Frosting:

Ingredients:
8 oz Cream cheese
1 c. (2 sticks) of salted butter at room temperature
4 c. (1 bag) Confectioners sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Combine cream cheese, vanilla, and softened butter in a medium bowl and mix until combined.
2. Slowly add confectioners sugar (1 cup at a time) and mix until creamy.

Makes approx. 3-4 cups worth of frosting

On a side note, if I was making this for some kind of event, I'd probably substitute 1/2 cup of butter for 1/2 cup crisco to assure the frosting wouldn't lose its shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

McKenzie Renae Arnold